- Core Seminar
- Self-Directed Learning Activities
- Community Activity
- Participation in Faculty Events
- Leadership Journal & Portfolio
- Clinical Preparation
Cultural competence is the knowledge, interpersonal skills, and behaviors that enable a system, organization, program, or individual to work effectively cross-culturally by:
Cultural differences and similarities within and between cultures. The acquisition of cultural competence is a dynamic, ongoing, developmental process that requires a long-term commitment and is achieved over time.
- Explore their personal biases and assumptions on individual and organizational behavior.
- Discuss how cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic factors influence the access to health care services.
- Learn the impact of culturally competent health care practices on individuals’ access to health services, participation in health promotion and prevention programs, adherence to treatment plans, and overall health outcomes.
- Celebrating diversity
- Cultural Beliefs and Folk Medicine
- Cultural Competence Websites
- Cultural Competence Exercises
- Disparities in Care
- Cultural Diversity Websites
- NASW exercises
- Health Beliefs Questions
- Provider/Staff Self Awareness Exercises
- NCCC Advancing Family-Centered Guide
- PPC Faculty Workshop CLC Change Frameworks
- Are We on the Same Page? Health Beliefs and Access to Care
- Poverty activity (spent)
- Conduct a personal self-assessment regarding cultural competence.
- How is cultural competence relevant to a community activity?
- How did your cultural competence aid you in your community activity?
- How did gaps in your cultural competence impede your project?
- How might you suggest faculty integrate cultural competency into programs, research, scholarship, and policies?
- Interact with faculty from different cultures. What do you observe? What are the similarities or differences from your culture?
- What are the norms, values or characteristics of the culture from which you come?
- What factors present barriers to you developing cultural competence?
- What factors have helped you develop more cultural competence?
- Observe the division—what do you notice, relative to cultural competence?
- Interact in a clinic setting with patients and families from diverse cultures and those whose first language is not English
- What do you observe? What approaches do you find work most effectively?